How to Become a Great Gift Giver
Want to brighten up a senior’s day? Send them a personalized gift this Summer! Research shows that giving a good gift can improve your relationship. Since so many people are long-distance now due to Covid-19, nothing screams “I love you” like a gift. But what if you’re terrible at giving gifts? How can you be sure you’ll pick out something your senior will love? Below are a few sure ways you can become an expert at gift-giving:
- Think longer term—how much value is the receiver going to derive from your gift over time?
- Pay attention to the things they buy for themselves.
- Figure out what you have in common with your loved one and buy a gift based on shared interests (pick out something you would like).
- Pay attention during talks and take notes.
- Discreetly ask them what they want (it’s not taboo).
- Be straightforward, and don’t overthink it.
- Ask a nurse within the facility for help.
- Go for quality over price. Your loved one will not like it more based on the price alone.
Whatever you get your senior is up to you; make sure it comes from the heart. Receiving a surprise gift from the person you love is one of the best ways to make a senior feel special truly. So please give it some thought or ask for help. Regardless of what you choose to give your loved one, I’m sure they will deeply appreciate it. It’s the little things that matter most! So do your part and keep on showing up for your seniors. This crisis will be over soon enough.
If you have an underlying condition like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, or respiratory conditions, shelter in place and stay away from others or busy areas. For the most up-to-date information about the Coronavirus, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
OurSeniors.org is on a mission to reach out to isolated seniors in the local community. Help bring joy to their lives by donating or volunteering to visit a facility. A little mindfulness can go a long way. We hope you enjoy this winter season from our team at OurSeniors.org.